Flatford Bridge

Flatford Bridge was very important for people in Flatford because:

  •  it was the way people crossed the river to start the walk from Flatford to Dedham 
  • it was much used by cattle and horse and carts crossing the river from Bridge Cottage to reach the the water meadows that formed part of the Valley Farm estate 

After the start of the River Stour Navigation in the early 18th Century, the central section of the bridge had to be widened so that barges could travel  safely underneath it. A central vertical support was also needed because heavy weights crossing the unsupported central section of the bridge would have caused stress on the timbers. With the advent of even heavier loads, like a tractors, a second central support was added. Even so, the bridge required constant repair and has been replaced at regular intervals.

Scroll to the bottom of this page to see Constable’s painting of Flatford Bridge. 

Short history of Flatford Bridge 1907-present

Because of its history and construction and it now forms part of the Flatford Buildings Group.  The following information about Flatford Bridge comes from newspaper reports.

  • In 1907 –  described as ‘fallen into decay’  with a proposal to replace it with an iron bridge.
  • In 1911 –  replaced with a bridge made of 30 tons of English Oak.
  • In 1927  –  plans to demolish and replace with a more modern structure. Fortunately this decision was overturned by local objectors.
  • In 1951  –  replaced again with Burmese wood and to the original design. This is the bridge that we see today.

Early 20th Century depictions of Flatford Bridge

Links with John Constable

Flatford Bridge appears in several of John Constable’s painting including the two featured below. The bridge in Constable’s  paintings is of a lighter construction than the one that spans the river today. 

  • Flatford bridge today looks similar to the bridge in Constable’s painting, but it has in fact been replaced several times.
  • Constable’s bridge has a single central support (to stop it collapsing in the middle by people and animals crossing) and a single handrail 
  • Today’s bridge is wider, has two central supports and stronger handrails to comply with safety requirements.

Constable painting - view of the river Stour near Dedham
View on the River Stour near Dedham (detail) by John Constable (1822)
John Constable painting - Gone Fishing
Boys Fishing (detail) attributed to John Constable (1813)
  • Owned by National Trust Anglesea Abbey
  • Oil on canvas this painting measures 49 by 40 inches.
  • For information click Boys Fishing