Flatford Dry Dock today
1984/5 - Discovery of the Dry Dock
Building a Tea Room
The National Trust bought the land around Flatford’s Dry Dock in 1984 with a view to building a tea room. When work began on digging the foundations for the tea room, the River Stour Trust identified the remains of a dry dock including:
- Floor – a disintegrating brick floor to the dry dock
- Stocks – three wooden stocks standing on the brick floor – Stour lighters (barges) would have rested on these stocks while being constructed or repaired
- Drain pipes – the remains of the wooden pipes (called chunkers) allowing water to drain away from the Dry Dock into a ditch (or culvert) on the other side of the river – so making it a dry area in which to work
- Decayed barge – an old Stour lighter that was much decayed and blackened (see the first image above)
The Dry Dock you see today is one of three dry docks that would have operated at Flatford during the boyhood of John Constable. That there were multiple dry docks dedicated to building and repairing Stour lighters gives an idea of the demand for lighters to transport good up and down the River Stour.
The location of the other two dry docks is known but only one has been excavated so far.
1988 - Reconstructing the Dry Dock
- Using Constable’s drawings and paintings, the Dry Dock was fully restored in 1988.
- The old lighter (barge) was thoroughly inspected before being reburied behind Willy Lott’s House – in damp ground to preserve the timbers.
- The damaged brick floor was repaired with new bricks manufactured at the Bulmer Brick and Tile Company in Sudbury. Although Bulmer’s did not make the original bricks, the company supplies hand-made bricks to the National Trust and many other organisations involved in the restoration of old buildings.
Links with John Constable
Boat Building 1814
Although the edge of Flatford’s Dry Dock, painted in 1814, appears in a couple of John Constable’s landscapes, there is only one painting in which he makes it the main subject.
For more information from the Victoria and Albert Museum in London which owns this painting click Boat Building